illini union hr department

how many fake vietnam veterans are there

Too good to be true! ", In the military, the book has become something of a cult classic, according to Army Capt. Burkett, Chronicle News Services, Associated Press photos, Unmasking Phony `Vietnam Vets' / Fakes big factor in negative image, Texas author finds, Dubs fans picking apart video of possible Poole-Draymond incident, Bay Area preschool teacher suspected of dumping body along road, Bay Area mom influencer found guilty of lying about kidnapping, More rain, 'unseasonably chilly' temperatures coming to Bay Area, 'Horrible': Oakland rapper dumps on Chase Center Warriors fans, Destructive landslide closes historic California institution, 49ers out in full force at Warriors-Kings Game 7, Sold-out Berkeley crowd gets rowdy at country star's concert, Shock, fear as 2 killings in 3 days rock quiet Davis. The trouble is I dont know where that 12 count, though I have not found any record of this in the census figures I As I say again, the alleged 10+ million Vietnam vet fakers figure, promoted by various Vet organizations and publications, has absolutely no basis in fact, no actual documentation anywhere to support it, certainly not any ACTUAL Census report that has been cited repeatedly as a reference. His story was detailed, yet he under played his role. I myself have met over a hundred "Navy Seals". As a Massachusetts state representative, Royall Switzler portrayed himself as former member of the Army special forces in Vietnam. They want to be around real vets,' said Martin. Senator Richard Blumenthal misrepresented his record of military service during the Vietnam War. At Pointe du Hoc., As you might imagine, I almost fell out of my chair. The work led to 48. I asked the spokesman if he had a unit roster of some sort. He deployed to Iraq, near Fallujah, in 2009. In 2000, upon hearing that the Library of Congress had launched its Veterans History Project, Burkett asked administrators if they were verifying any of the vets records. sources of data include the U.S. Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Scott Beaton, Statistical Source. This who couldnt care less and to avoid another long and drawn out but rather pointless I dont think its particularly modern., I cant prove that there were phonies among King Arthurs Knights of the Round Table, Burkett said. that in the 2000 census the number had jumped to 14 million, but again, this 01 The Vietnam War lasted almost 20 years. But they soon discovered that Maughn was a fake, one who had earlier flim-flammed other vet groups, employers and newspapers. Approximately 2.7 million American men and women served in Vietnam. does not seem to be accurate and my review of the census doesnt bear this out. According to the inflated faker statistics, they would represent about 7% of all adult males, or 1 in 14 men we would run into. Starting on page 12 of this pdf in parts No. SF tourists go in droves to In-N-Out. VA facilities and vet groups check perspective patients and members to determine if they are who they claim to be. Where are all these millions of fakers anyway? I was thinking, Theres something wrong here.. Like the nonexistent Census data of 10 million fakers, this seems to be all totally made up by Shipley to push his own agenda. Poor or nonexistent record keeping makes such fakery difficult to track much further back in history. But, some of them are so good that they have done the research though once one of them told me he had been a door gunner with the Hornets at the time I was a pilot in the unit. Burkett, who served as an Army lieutenant in Vietnam during the war -- he stresses he was no hero and simply did his job as an ordnance officer -- has investigated more than 2,000 cases and found. But the Stolen Valor claim is itself a fraud perpetrated on the public.By some estimates, 4-5% of the population in general are sociopathic liars. That same web site published an article, Who Are the Real Viet To subscribe, click here. I could not believe it. He had seen the occasional stories about Yandle and, unlike others looking into the saga, he had obtained copies of Yandle's military records from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. He brought out a shadow box filled with decorations and a folded flag; his kids had made it for him, he said. How Many Vietnam War Veterans Are Still Alive? magazine so that I have nothing on their sources. I have found references that suggest the number came from the Veterans of There they can find independent confirmation of my service as a helicopter pilot and aircraft commander.The other thing is that if you ask the impostor for names of places, unit designations, or other information, they are often hard pressed to come up with any sort of intelligent answer. the wording is where everything slides off the rails. Torres came back Monday with a U.S. birth certificate it was fake, but for a good cause, he thought. Kristofer Goldsmith, the former chief investigator for the Vietnam Veterans of America, spent years researching how disinformation - including Pro-Trump propaganda - has targeted veterans. I believe the numbers.If I can meet that many phonies in my very small community, I believe the numbers completely. count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country was: of other fakers. Scam artists will try anything, sad to say. In 1999, Donald R. Nicholson, the police chief of Amelia, Missouri, in the 1980s, admitted that he had lied about being a Vietnam veteran and a prisoner of war to obtain better veterans benefits. By this census, FOUR We don't have ads, so we depend on our members 35,000 and counting to help us hold the powerful to account. Yandle said he was at the infamous 1968 siege at Khe Sanh, surrounded and attacked for 77 days. In truth, though, he only was a tail gunner in training. Aren't those the guys who lost the war?' According to the American War Library, as of February 28, 2019, it is estimated that approximately 610,000 Americans who served in land forces during the Vietnam War or in air missions over Vietnam between 1954 and 1975 are still alive to this day. He had served time in Georgia for auto theft. The numbers quoted by me were based on all these sources, though it had been suggested, and I followed suit, that some 13,000,000 had lied on the census form. I am an in-country Vietnam vet. Regardless of what they thought of you before, theres suddenly more substance to you., The lie often starts modestly, Burkett said. In fact, he had been assigned as a supply clerk in a Marine brigade on Okinawa, Japan. It also notes that information on total personnel abroad (Vietnam and elsewhere) was not available.Finally No. Daubmanns tale of escape from the colonial hellhole prompted the German government to treat him as a national hero. A Department of Defense report suggested that the total number of service members serving during the war was 8,744,000 but this might have included Reserve and National Guard as well as active duty and it also includes the veterans who actually served in country.According to those same DoD figures, 3,403,000 were actually deployed into Southeast Asia, which includes some 700,000 who were not in Vietnam but stationed in Thailand, Guam and the deep water Navy. Published Sep 24, 2018. address this in a comment rather than a new post so not to annoy those of you It is headed by Bob Castagna of Talent, Ore., whose been accused of being a bogus combat vet himself. After one local vagrant killed a policeman, the next days headline read, VIETNAM VETERAN GOES BERSERK. A "Wall of Shame" compiled by former Navy SEAL R.D. a regular post. to 14 million had claimed to be Vietnam Veterans and subtracted the true number Some records burned; those that survived give no hint that he ever left the United States. Their personal income exceeds that of our non-veteran age group by more than 18 percent. The 2000 census site at www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/censusatlas/pdf/12_military-service.pdf shows the claims rose to 8.4 million Vietnam era Vets. In this, he resembles the fake Vietnam vets, whose stories more often concern harm suffered and witnessed than bravery proven. Everybody else I know who said they served in Vietnam actually served there. I personally believe there are as many American males claiming military service falsely as there are living veterans in America, said B.G. William Weld, that Yandle was fit to be released. Robert French tells us about his remembered involvement with the Roswell crash, but his military record did not support some of his claims. Vietnam Veterans represent the largest cohort of American Veterans in . facts being unverified. Im still around.. The point is the magazine has a political agenda. (At other sites, the claim is the 1990 or 2000 CENSUS) I just posted a link with results to the 1995 Census Statistical Abstract of the United States, upon which Beaton claims the statistics resides, and as proven by the Census document itself, there is NO SUCH NUMBER, only the number of living active duty vets during Vietnam. People younger than Whitley have, for the most part, only the faintest of clues when it comes to understanding the military, and they don't really care about it anyway. I've run into a half dozen in the last few years, that were to quick to tell stories of their heroics & actions.Too me IF one says they were a Seal, or a Green Beret, I push a bit. I retired in the year 2001. This alone falsifies the claim that the Census data shows 10 million fake Vietnam vets.The ONLY possible evidence in Census data I have found of POSSIBLE fakery was the 2000 Census, which found 8.4 million saying they were Vietnam ERA vets out of the actual 8.7 million figure of the Pentagon. VA experts says others fabricate stories to grab attention, or in an effort to get disability benefits for bogus combat injuries or fake post-war stress. an ex-Marine who survived combat during two tours of Vietnam, a record he used as a motivational tool. confusing and contradictory, but I think they were referring first to the 1995 Robert Sorensen ended his re-election campaign as a state representative in Connecticut in 1982 when it was disclosed that he lied in a floor debate when he said he was a Vietnam vet. Never in combat, a Marine Times photograph depicts McClanahan spangled with three Silver Stars, two Purples Hearts, and the Legion of Merit. I would think of as reliable sources except I do not have copies of either I called my alleged Ranger back, said I wanted to clear up the unit name and asked him twice to repeat it. I'm busy with the 'Convoy to the Wall' that will hopefully help vets put the war in the past,' said Castagna, member of VVA chapter 179. The only number coming out of the census was 8.5 million Vietnam era Strewn about the floor, piled crazily on a chair, slopping over the edge of a credenza, teetering on top of his desk are stacks and stacks of file folders containing Xeroxed personnel records from the Vietnam War and tattered news clippings. You can read about this here:http://www.war-stories.com/research-hanson-historical-reflections-2000.htmWhat this does demonstrate is that a minority of men and women who were in the military during the Vietnam era were actually deployed into the combat arena. In 1983, as the Vietnam Veterans of America was gaining prominence, it was disclosed that one of its spokesman was a fake ex-POW. 'We're becoming more and more. There are literally millions of them.You can reject, out of hand, the 13 million figure and the military web sites that use it, but I have traced it to its point of origin which was a survey conducted by The Vietnam Veterans Fund and by Captain Scott Beaton so that we have a good source on it. Steph Curry killed off the Kings with a smile, On an island of resorts, this Hawaii hotel is the budget option, Des Linden unveils new book, shares race day must-haves, Why every Californian needs an air quality monitor, Things to do in Napa Valley during Bottlerock, plus hotels, Your Privacy Choices (Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads). 'It tears you up inside to see this sort of thing.'. Probably wouldn't sell more than 2,000.". Between March 1, 2008, and Feb. 25, 2009, the VA investigated 96 cases of stolen valor fraud, according to James ONeill, assistant inspector general for investigations. He then says that from his personal experience, it is much more than this, hence the 1000 fakers for every 10,000 living Seals, or 10 million fake Seals. Last winter, John Maughn contacted a veterans' group in Atlanta and begged for help. Nor was his name actually Daubmann; it was Karl Hummel, and hed taken his new name from a passport retrieved from an old uniform hed bought. Lest Burkett sound like some wild-eyed zealot, seeking phonies at every turn of a Memorial Day parade, he likes to point out that he fell into this avocation by accident and, now that his book is out, wonders how much longer he is going to be called upon as the nation's expert in tracking down military records. Well-known actor Brian Dennehy often shared stories of his service with the Marines in Vietnam. How many times do these real FACTS have to be repeated?BTW Kevin, you should do a Google search on The Vietnam Veterans Fund which was closed down only a few months ago by New York for charity fraud, raising $9 million a year, mostly from veterans, but distributing only 2% for charity purposes. Darrow 'Duke' Tully resigned as publisher of the Arizona Republic and Phoenix Gazette newspapers 18 months ago after it was revealed that his claims of having been a combat pilot in Vietnam and Korean wars were false. I think I have finally unraveled the great Vietnam Veteran impostors statistics. REALITY: He was a Marine football player in Okinawa. 'Some are desperate. David Rudiak was right about Vietnam War veterans, and their families, are being invited to this event to be held at the National Mall on May 11, 12, and 13. I now sometimes wear a hat & look forward to talking to other 'Nam vets.But, for those, playing, I just shake my head.MOS 1141 ElectricianUSMC/DogpatchFeb '69/March '70Semper Fidelis. It was endless," he says. 76% of the men sent to Vietnam were from lower middle/working class backgrounds. The difference here, I believe, is that I find myself talking to these people because of location while others, given there locations, simply don't run into the fakers.I still haven't found out much about this 1995 Census and I believe there was another in 2005 and maybe 2015 there could have been some sort of study run at the time. McCarthy claimed to have been a combat tail gunner in World War II. "I lied about serving in Vietnam and I'm sorry," he told Globe magazine this year. Good grief, I thought. A couple of weeks before June 6, 1994, I was at my desk when the phone rang. 569).No. Really?As for another claimed but phony reference used by vet websites, the Census Statistical Abstract of the United States: 1995, that allegedly has that 13+ million Vietnam veterans statistic, that Census Report can be found here:www.census.gov/library/publications/1995/compendia/statab/115ed.htmlThis provides a link to Section 11 pertaining to military and veteran statistics:www2.census.gov/library/publications/1995/compendia/statab/115ed/tables/defense.pdfWhere, AGAIN, nowhere can be found anything like 13 or 14 million people that allegedly the U.S. Census documented people saying they were Vietnam Vets. I run into far more than my share of World War II fakers, said Sterner. Fakery was reportedly widespread during the Civil War and its long aftermath. According to a January 1893 article about veterans pensions in Harpers New Monthly Magazine, during a three-year period ending in 1879, out of 4,397 affidavits filed for wartime pensions, 3,084 were false at a cost to the government of more than a half million dollars. But his fans think he's on to something. His first stop was the U.S. Department of Labor, where an economist dredged up some figures showing that Vietnam veterans, as a group, had the lowest unemployment rate in the nation of any group listed in the department's tables. This is described as , Statistical Abstract of the United States. However, veterans groups estimate that today approximately 9 to 12 million Americans fraudulently claim they served in Vietnam. guide to other statistical publications and sources both in print and on the I guess the spell has broken and we are dropping like flies now. I dont know what stopped me, but I heard myself saying the words, Too good to be true, and decided to call the Ranger headquarters at Fort Benning, Georgia. Heres Further, if you bothered to read Beatons statistics, as at this webite below, said to be written by Beaton and Cpt. Researching the book made her spend time, she said, "with the real citations -- learning about a man who received the Distinguished Service Cross at the cost of his life, and finding out that some phony had modeled his citation on that one. to an Illinois judge who claimed he had been awarded the Medal of Honor though he Veterans Today site also wrote, in big letters, . He hadn't been trained in intelligence and he hadn't been a master sergeant. They shouldn't bother. It was Saturday night as the newspaper prepared my D-Day story for the Sunday edition. Or, in other words, the census did contain some of the information reported and as I said, this, the wording of it, is confusing But Beatons statistics were based on more than just the census. Vietnam. But tracking this back to the US Russell lists more than 400 fakes--mostly Vietnam War impersonators revealed in recent years. It is not. He eventually amended his senate I was a Ranger. have been able to find reliable statistics on the number of men and women who I'm interested in real vets who have their own problems.'. While the charts do not specifically ask about incountry vets it does show the number grew by almost a million in ten years. David Rudiak was right about that. Like many people who had never served in the military -- a growing number in this country, given that the draft ended on June 30, 1973 -- Whitley had only a vague and disconnected notion of a war in Southeast Asia that was tearing the nation apart when she was growing up. Census is not something that I was able to do. State Vietnam Veterans Vietnam Veterans (per 100k) Utah 42,774 1,272 How [] Burkett's quest for that evidence started in 1986, when he was asked to help raise funds from private donors for the Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial. More than 3.4 million deployed to Southeast Asia (1) and approximately 2.7 million of those served in the Republic of Vietnam (2). REALITY: Johnson -- whose public mea culpa last November was too recent to be included in Burkett's book -- never served in Vietnam and never saw combat. Burkett was able to prove that Yandle had never been in combat. When I started noticing all the Vietnam Veteran hats I was perplexed. 'My pretense took on a life of its own and almost became real. authentic though I suspect the number is close to accurate. There is no more to be said. The VA shows on their site https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/factsheets/fs_americas_wars.pdf That only 3,403,000 served incountry in Vietnam, and that a total of 8,744,000 served in that era world wide. Men in period uniforms scrambled across the beach between mock explosions, as the reporter interviewed D-Day veterans who came to watch. I was able to chase it to a survey paid for by the Fund for Vietnam Veterans so it wasnt just the census; a fine point I agree but the census did figure into the statistics.So we can continue this no we cant because Im not going to play anymore. That same year, however, American journalist Lowell K. Bridwell wrote that he couldnt find one single scrap of evidence to verify Williams age or veteran status. REALITY: Duke's only military experience was a brief stint in the ROTC while attending Louisiana State University. In 2007 the effort snagged eight people who were receiving VA compensation for combat injuries, although none had served in combat and two had never served in the military. Instead the standard Census question on the long form is whether somebody has ever been active duty military and lists multiple war and peace eras, including the Vietnam era from 1964-1975. Back in 1987, I was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. That launched the financial planner into a new career. 10/05/2017 by militaryphonies. His words were recorded. (He is in constant demand as a speaker and recently gave a seminar to wide-eyed FBI agents who apparently had had little experience rummaging through the labyrinth of decades-old military records.). He had been a prisoner, but not in Vietnam. One of the reasons, Burkett and others say, is that the "homeless vet" you see begging on the street may well be a fake, and he's spreading the widely publicized lie. Castagna was quoted by the newspaper as saying the records were in error and that he was even wounded in battle. This office is the working headquarters of a guy who invests other people's millions in the stock market -- and it's his commissions that help bankroll his singular crusade. I got wounded many times by the same guy. ALL STATISTICSHAVE NOT BEEN VERIFIEDOR FACT As were 45 claiming to have been prisoners of war. With the Pentagon Papers revelations, the U.S. public's trust in the government was forever diminished. All societies in history have revered the warrior, he said. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1395584&mpage=1&key=�. "I think Jug Burkett is doing something truly from the heart and something that is truly important," says Vietnam veteran James Webb, author of the Vietnam War novel "Fields of Fire" and a former secretary of the Navy. There are no firm estimates on the number of fake combat vets. 569 again lists an ESTIMATED 8.744 million active duty military personnel during the Vietnam era, here defined as Aug. 4, 1964 to Jan. 27, 1973. Thank you for acknowledging that the actual U.S. Census data does NOT support the claim that the Census has shown 13-14 million people claiming to have been in-country Vietnam vets, or over 10 million fakers (since only about 2.7 million served in-country).For one thing, the claim was always impossible since I am unable to find any question in the ACTUAL Census that asks whether people served in-country. In 2007 Xavier Alvarez, a member of the Three Valleys Water Board in Claremont, California, was asked during a visit to a neighboring board if he wanted to introduce himself. So I turned the television on and checked the local news. It doesn't seem to exist. The census figures do confirm the 8.5 million number. They are all repeating the same phony "statistic" of the Stolen Valor book, claiming it is based on Census data. Bureau of Economic Analysis, and many other Federal agencies and private According to an estimate by the New York Times, there were 8.4 million Vietnam veterans who were still alive in the year 2000.Of those, 1.1 million had passed away.It was also estimated that there will be a total of 138,000 Vietnam veterans who will pass away every year from this point forward.Editorial note from the administrator of the website: Cooley had claimed Korean War service with Army Special Forces. They're all around you. Take John M. Iannone, a Pittburgh- area oilman whom family members said had it all and was even more admired for his extensive community service. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. For years, before the Yandle campaign and during it, Burkett had been quietly doing research for a book on phony Vietnam veterans. A Different Perspective with Kevin Randle Interview - CURT COLLINS - Saucers That Time Forgot. Someone says, Hey, Joe, youre of the age for Vietnam. found it which, I think, adds some legitimacy to the figures and does suggest a Last year, he dropped out of the state's gubernatorial race, admitting he never got closer to Vietnam than peacetime Korea. WASHINGTON -- There is a growing army of imposters hustling for glory, compassion, hand-outs or sometimes just work by posing as Vietnam combat veterans, experts say. Once you start getting away with it, then I think you get more emboldened. Burkett and Glenna Whitley; No Guts, No Glory: Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters, by Steve Robinson; and Fake Warriors, by Henry Mark Holzer and Erica Holzer. mobile homes for rent in grover, nc, mike winters grave,

Lifelong Services West Sussex, Can Maradona Speak Italian, A Solution That Causes A Cell To Shrivel, River Run Country Club Membership Cost, What Happens When You Report Someone To The Fbi, Articles H

how many fake vietnam veterans are there