illini union hr department

hubris in othello quotes

Throughout the scene, Othello remains calm and dignified. Your subscription will continue automatically once the free trial period is over. . Othello says "I did consent, And often did beguile her of her tears When I did speak of some distressful stroke That my youth suffered. Ironically, Othello assumes that Iago is being tactful and trying not to blame Cassio for what happened, whereas Iago has actually engineered the entire situation in order to get Cassio in trouble. We're English, and the English are best at everything.". I would have Cassio nine years a-killing a fine woman, a fair woman, a sweet woman. Othello lets pride get the best of him, and this clouds his judgment to such an extent that he actually ends up murdering his wife because he falsely believes that she has been unfaithful to him and he feels humilated as a result. Animalistic imagery is used to show Venetian societys racist thoughts against blacks. Farewell, Commend me to my kind lord: O, farewell!" showing her motive to protect Othello which such a realisation leads to his own death, "I kiss 'd thee er. Act 1 Scene 1- Iagos racism as he discusses Othello and his wife to Brabantio, an old black ram//Is tupping your white ewe, Act 1 Scene 1- Iagos racism continues as he discusses Othellos marriage, youll have your//daughter covered with a Barbary horse; youll have your// nephews neigh to you, Act 1 Scene 1- Brabantio doesnt know the truth in his words, Act 1 Scene 1- Roderigo illustrates that he is repulsed by the marriage, Act 1 Scene 1- Iagos dramatic irony as he suggests that he should leave before Othello arrives, It seems not meet, nor wholesome to my place//To be produced, Act 1 Scene 1- Brabantio introduces a central theme to the play, Act 1 Scene 1- Brabantio expresses his betrayal, Act 1 Scene 1- Brabantio confirms the Rennaissance stereotype of black men, Is there not charm// By which property of youth and maidhood//May be abused, Act 1 Scene 1- Brabantio makes his private conflict public, Get weapons, ho!//And raise some special officers of night, Act 1 Scene 2- Iagos dramatic irony as he pretend to be fault to Othello, Act 1 Scene 2- Iago suggests that Brabantio has betrayed Othellos honour, And spoke such scurvy and provoking terms// Against your honour, Act 1 Scene 2- Othello initially illustrates his pride as an officer, My services which I have done the signory//Shall out-tongue his complaints, Act 1 Scene 2- Othello further illustrates his honour as an officer, I fetch my life and being//From men of royal siege, Act 1 Scene 2- Othello expresses his greatness of soul as he declares his love for Desdemona, But that I love the gentle Desdemona//For the seas worth, Act 1 Scene 2- Othello declared his hubris as he suggests that he must be found, My parts, my title, and my perfect soul//Shall manifest me rightly, Act 1 Scene 2- Othello subverts the traditional stereotype of soldiers as he suggests that violence isnt always the way, Keep up your bright swords, for the dew will rust them//Good signor, you shall command with years//Than with your weapons, Act 1 Scene 2- Brabantio declares that Othello has charmed Desdemona, Damned as thou art, thou has enchanted her, Act 1 Scene 2- Brabantio illustrates Desdemona as a weak victim to the cunning sexual predator of Othello, If she in chains of magic were not bound//Whether a maid, so tender, fair and happy//so opposite to marriage that she shunned, Act 1 Scene 2- Brabantio reveals his casual xenophobia as he suggests that one should be afraid of Othello rather than in love, Of such a thing as thou: to fear, not to delight, Act 1 Scene 2- Brabantio confirms the Rennaissance stereotype of black man as he presents Othello as a cunning sexual predator, That thou hast practised on her with foul charms//Abused her delicate youth with drugs or minerals, Act 1 Scene 2- Brabantio presents Othello as a villain, Act 1 Scene 2- Othello asserts his power as an officer declaring that violence is not necessary, Were it my cue to fight, I should have known it//Without a prompter, Act 1 Scene 3- Brabantio presents Desdemona as his property as he declares Othellos crimes before the senate, She us abused, stolen from me, and corrupted, Act 1 Scene 3- Brabantio presents Desdemona as the innocent victim of Othellos abuse, Being not deficient, blind, or lame of sense//Sans witchcraft could not, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello dispels all rumors as he addresses the senate with respect, Act 1 Scene 3- Othellos dramatic irony as he suggests he does not speak well in front of a crowd, Rude am I in my speech//And little blessed with soft phrase of peace, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello also suggests that Desdemona is now is property, Act 1 Scene 3- Brabantio continues to present Desdemona as a weak and innocent victim as Othello attempts to justify his actions, A maiden never bold//Of spirit so still and quiet that her motion//Blushed at herself, Act 1 Scene 3- Brabantio continues to illustrates the xenophobia of his time, To fall in love with what she feared to look on, Act 1 Scene 3- Brabantio expresses the unnatural nature of this marriage, Act 1 Scene 3- Brabantio a likens Othello to the Devil, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello presents a greatness of soul as he allows Desdemona to speak for herself, And let her speak of me before her father, Act 1 Scene 3- A moment of foreshadowing as Othello presents a greatness of soul as he illustrates his overwhelming trust for Desdemona, but let your sentence//Even fall upon my life, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello presents his hubris as he discuss the difficulties that he has overcome to the senate, From year to year- the battles, sieges, fortunes//That I have passed, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello presents he hubris as he boasts about his exotic adventures to the senate, Rough quarried, rocks, and hills whose heads tough heaven, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello first discusses why Desdemona was attracted to him, Shed come again, and with a greedy ear//Devour up my discourse, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello discusses the sympathy that Desdemona felt towards his struggles, She gave me for my pains a world of sighs, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello discusses how he enjoyed the pity he received from Desdemona, She loved me for the danger I had passed// And I loved her, that she did pity them, Act 1 Scene 3- Desdemona is allowed to speech and expresses how she belonged to her father, Act 1 Scene 3- Brabantio does not understand the harmful power of words, But words are words; I never yet did hear// That the bruised heart was pieced through the ear, Act 1 Scene 3- Desdemona expresses that she now belong completely to Othello, My heart subdued//Even to the very quality of my lord, Act 1 Scene 3- Desdemona discusses Othellos honour, And to his honours and he valiant parts//Did I my soul and fortunes consecrate, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello presents his greatness of soul as he declares that he is not simply with Desdemona for reasons of lust, I therefore beg it not//To please the palate of my appetite, Act 1 Scene 3- A moment of dramatic irony as Othello declares his trust for Iago and puts his wife in Iagos care, A man he is of honesty and trust://To his conveyance I assign my wife, Act 1 Scene 3- In a moment way ahead of his time the duke suggests that there is more to Othello than his race, If virtue no delighted beauty lack//Your son-in-law is far more fair than black, Act 1 Scene 3- In a moment of foreshadowing Brabantio plants a seed of doubt into Othellos head, Look to her Moor, if thou hast eyes to see//She has deceived her father and may thee, Act 1 Scene 3- In response to Brabantios seed of doubt Othello presents his overwhelming trust for Desdemona, Act 1 Scene 3- Othello makes an error of judgement as he puts Desdemona in Iagos control, Honest Iago,//My Desdemona must I leave to thee, Act 1 Scene 3- Roderigo expresses he desire to die after he learns about the marriage, this mirrors Othellos speech moments before his death, It is silliness to live, when to live is tormentwe have a prescription to die, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago declares the importance of will over instinct, Our bodies are our gardeners, to the which our will are gardeners, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago further illustrates the need to control lust with will, It is merely the lust of the blood and a permission of the will, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago reveals the greedy motives of his support for Roderigo, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago presents casual racism as he questions Othellos will, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago reveals his manipulation of Roderigo for money, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago reveals that is actions are simply for enjoyment presenting him as a true villain, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago suggests that he is going to manipulate Othello, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago identifies Othellos fatal flaw, The Moor if of a free and open nature//Than thinks men honest that but seem to be, Act 1 Scene 3- Iago presents casual racism as he refers to Othello as an animal, And will as tenderly be led by thy nose//As asses are, Act 1 Scene 3- Iagos plan has been formed, Hell and night//Must bring this monstrous birth to the worlds light, Act 2 Scene 1- Montano declares that the Turkish Fleet have drowed, If that the Turkish fleet//Be not ensheltered and embayed, they are drowned, Act 2 Scene 1- In a moment of dramatic irony it is suggested that the battles are over, Act 2 Scene 1- Cassios caring nature and genuine love for Othello are revealed, this dispels all previous rumors, yet he looks sadly//And prays the Moor be safe, Act 2 Scene 1- Cassio presents a genuine concern for Othello who has not yet arrived at Cyprus, O, let the heavens//Give him defence against the elements, Act 2 Scene 1- Iago presents casual sexism as he suggests that his wife Emilia talks to much, would she give you so much of her lips//As of her tongue she oft bestow on me//Youd have enough, Act 2 Scene 1- Desdemona dispels all previous rumors as she appears bold when she defends Emilia from Iago, Act 2 Scene 1- Iago appears sexist as he suggests that even his own wife lacks sexual morality, Act 2 Scene 1- Iago reveals more of plot to manipulate Cassio, With as little a web as this I will ensnare as great a fly as Cassio, Act 2 Scene 1- It is a true high point for the tragic hero as Othello arrives in Cyprus, It gives me wonder great as my content//To see you here before me. Why does Othello care about Desdemonas handkerchief. Through this play, Othello's hubris causes his greatest downfall. Iago suggests that Othello has hubris when he states. Iago says that Othello can forgive Desdemonas evil deeds if he adores very much. His response is full of confidence: Were it my cue to fight, I should have known it / Without a prompter. Act 4 Scene 1- Othello once again contradicts himself as he suggests that he wishes to violently harm Desdemona, Act 4 Scene 1- Iago tells Othello how to murder his wife, strangle her in her bed, even the bed she hath contaminated, Act 4 Scene 1- Othello suggests that the justice of murder settle him, Act 4 Scene 1- Lodovico reveals that this new Othello would not be believed in Venice, My lord, this would not be believed in Venice, Act 4 Scene 1- Othello reveals that womens tears are fake, If that earth could teem with a womens tears//Each drop she falls would prove a crocodile, Act 4 Scene 1- Iagos manipulation continues as he declares his honesty, It is not honesty in me to speak// What I have seen and known, Act 4 Scene 2- Emilia swears on her life to Othello that Desdemona is honest, I durst my lord to wager she is honest lay down my stole at stake, Act 4 Scene 2- Othello believes that Desdemona is manipulative and sly in her actions, This is a subtle *****, A closet lock and key of vilainous secrets, Act 4 Scene 2- Desdemona continues to pledge that she is honest, Act 4 Scene 2- Othello declares that Desdemona is false, Act 4 Scene 2- Othello suggests that his fatal flaw is his lack of patience, I should have found in some place of my souL//A drop of patience, Act 4 Scene 2- Othello reveals the danger in Desdemona despite the fact that she appears honest, O, thou weed, Who art so lovely fair and smellst so sweet, Act 4 Scene 2- Desdemona wishes that Emilia lay out her wedding sheets, Act 4 Scene 2- Desdemona reveals to Iago that it is her destiny to suffer, Act 4 Scene 2- Emilia illustrates great power as she is aware that someone is behind Othellos jealousy, I will be hanged is some eternal villain//some busy and intriguing rogue//Have not devised this slander, Act 4 Scene 2- Emilia continues to illustrate her power as she suggest someone is controlling Othellos jealousy, The Moors abused by some most villainous knave, Act 4 Scene 2- Desdemona reveals that despite Othellos unkindness, her love will continue, Unkindness may do much//And his unkindness may defeat my life//But never taint my love, Act 4 Scene 2- Roderigo has a brief moment of realisation that he is the victim of Iagos manipulation, Every day thou daffst me with some device Iagokeepst from me all conveniency. Act 1 Scene 1- Iago illustrates Othello's pride and reputation as a soldier. In the same fashion, the play Oedipus written by Sophocles also shows Oedipus being excessively prideful. His terrible arrogance and unwillingness to listen to her pleas of innocence is a moment of hubris and the heavens will punish him for such vanity and ignorance. Nor all the drowsy syrups of the world. Desdemona: Banish me my lord, but kill me not. Your group members can use the joining link below to redeem their group membership. Through the post-colonial reading, Iago takes advantage of Othellos ethnic background and feeling of difference from the whole Venetian society. The idiom "wear my heart on my sleeve" comes from this line in Othello. In pursuit of his revenge Iago will become duplicitous, never showing his true emotion to the outside world. Whateer you be, I am obedient, Act 3 Scene 3- Othello forshadows the chaos that occurs when he no longer loves Desdemona, But I do love thee! And O you mortal engines, whose rude throats. What, ho, Brabantio! Othello's hubris eventually leads to his downfall, as he is too proud to ask Desdemona if she has been unfaithful, as he does not want to be cuckolded and have his manhood, honour and reputation ruined as a result . Othello holds himself with high. The quote also shows that once Othello has begun to think about the possibility of his wife being unfaithful, he is unable to leave the idea alone. It also is the first seed planted in his game of deception. The image could certainly be seen as arrogant or a measured response to the noblemans attempts at intimidation. Tis he! O brave Iago, honest and just//That hast such noble sense of thy friends wrong thou teachest me! Act 2 Scene 1- Iago suggests that sex will ruin Desdemona and Othellos relationship, When the blood is made dull with the act of sport, Act 2 Scene 1- Iago identifies Cassios quick temper as a flaw that can be used against him, hes rash and very sudden in choler, and haply//with his trucheon may strike at you, Act 2 Scene 1- Iago identifies Othellos greatness of soul as a flaw that can be used against him, The Moor//Is of a constant, loving, noble nature//And I dare think, hell prove to Desdemona// A most dear husband, Act 2 Scene 1- Iago expresses his motives as revenge as he belives Othello has slept with his wife. Her vocal support for him only enrages Othello and he strikes her. Nor scar that whiter skin of hers than snow. Their best conscience is to keept unknown. Thus credulous fools are caught, Act 4 Scene 1- Iago suggests that Bianca is a prostitute, A housewife, that by selling her desires// Buys herself bread and clothes. In these lines said by Othello, he is showing how someone's deceit (having to do with his love for his wife) can really go as far as to make him criticize a whole entire gender based on one idea that his Desdemona has been unfaithfuland he does not even have proof that this accusation is true. Subscribe now. Want 100 or more? Like Cassio, Othello believes a man's reputation is "immortal", and he hopes his name will not be sullied by this final chapter of his life. Quotes and explainations about the role of pride in Othello 1.) The quote also reveals that Othello is a charismatic and impressively articulate individual, who can charm someone with the power of his words. Which character recruits Iago to woo Desdemona? The quote reveals Othellos blind spot where Iago is concerned, and sets the stage for how Othellos belief in Iagos integrity and honesty will lead to disaster. Aristotle outlined his theory of tragedy in Poetics. As Othello becomes more convinced by Desdemona's 'falseness', he equates the alleged dishonour of "her name" with the black complexion of his face - By the world, I think my wife be honest and think she is not; I think that thou art just and think thou art not. Act 5 Scene 1- Iago blames Bianca for Cassios injuries, I do suspect this trash//To be a party in this injury, Act 5 Scene 1- Iago continues to suggest that Bianca is responsible for Cassios injury, Nay, guiltiness will speak//Though tongues were out of use, Act 5 Scene 1- Iago continues to suggest that Bianca is responsible for Cassios death, Act 5 Scene 1- Emilia supports her husband who is suggesting that Bianca is responsible for Cassios injuries, Act 5 Scene 2- Othellos soliloquy he struggles between allowing the soldier within him to bring justice or the husband within him to protect and love his wife, Yet Ill not shed her blood//Nor scar that whiter skin of hers than snow//And smooth as monumental alabast, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello believes that this act is necessary to bring justice, Yet she must die, else shell betray more men, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello turns off the light as he goes to murder his wife, Put out the light, and then put out the light, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello believes this murder is necessary to restore Desdemonas previous purity, If I quench thee, thou flaming minister//I can again thy former light restore, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello knows the severity of this murder, When I have plucked thy rose//I cannot give it vital growth again//It needs must wither, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello takes justice into his own hands, O balmy breath, that dost almost persuade//Justice to break her sword, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello reveals that even after this murder he will continue to love his wife, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello cannot stop loving his wife, One more, one moreone more, and this the last//So sweet was neer so fatal, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello reveals the difficulty of this murder as he truly loves his wife, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello suggests that Desdemona must prayer, he think he is being fair to allow her this oppurtunity, Act 5 Scene 2- For the first time Desdemona is fearful of her husband, And yet I fear you: for youre fatal then//When youre eyes roll so, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello suggests that Desdemonas denial is making his actions seem unjustified, Thou dost stone my heart//And makest me call what I intend to do..A murder, which I though a sacrifice, Act 5 Scene 2- Desdemona gives Othello the opportunity to hear the truth which he denies, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello states that Cassio has confessed, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello reveals that he has sought revenge on Cassio, Had all his hairs been lives, my great revenge//Had stomachs for them all, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello defends his values as a soldier, I, that am cruel, am yet merciful;//I would not have thee linger in thy pain, Act 5 Scene 2- Othello is faced with confusion and misery after he has murdered his wife, My wife!

Powerschool Registration Create Account, Tara Samuel Measurements, Articles H